Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Part 1 - Sick of IT(P)

The last thing I need is another blog, but this one's a little different...first an introduction.

My name is Michelle, I'm 28 and I have an auto-immune disease called ITP, or idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura if you're feeling sexy. It's a platelet disorder in which my platelets are constantly being killed off, resulting in a really low count. So, normal individuals may have a platelet count of 150K...and at my lowest while I was in the hospital I was at 3k. So I had bruises and small clots all over my skin. At that level it can cause a stroke if I was to fall, or bleed to death if I was to cut myself badly. Awesome right! :/

Anyway, like many individuals with a chronic illness or other disease, I'm on Prednisone. This shit medication has become a daily struggle, so in future posts I'll share some things I've learned while being on it.

Oh, and why is the blog called Sandwich Tears? A couple weeks ago I was at a diner and my chicken sandwich started falling apart and I did the same. Stupid right? Thats Prednisone for you. You cry at the drop of a hat. Or in this case several pieces of falling chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment